By Oliver Sacks
The writer of twelve books, together with the bestselling Awakenings, the guy Who Mistook His spouse For a Hat, Musicophilia, and Hallucinations, Oliver Sacks is across the world well known for his compassionate method of sufferers stricken by profound neurological issues. but whilst an twist of fate on an uninhabited mountain in Norway leaves Dr. Sacks with a critical leg damage, he turns into the sufferer. in the course of what must have been a regimen restoration interval, he studies an overpowering sensation that his injured leg is now absent from his physique, and certainly from his actual information. In A Leg to face On, one in all Dr. Sacks’ so much own works, this tense event is the place to begin of a desirable trip during the mysteries of notion, the actual substance of our identities, and the event of being a patient.
Read Online or Download A Leg to Stand On PDF
Similar nonfiction books
Mobile applied sciences, speedier connection speeds, and the 24/7 connectivity that has result in the advance of social media have created an explosion of net use within the ten years because the preliminary ebook of internet knowledge: the right way to review and Create info caliber on the internet. A decade in the past, those applied sciences and actions didn't exist or have been the purview of small decide upon teams of net clients. regardless of dramatic alterations within the on-line realm, the fundamental evaluate ideas offered within the first variation stay as acceptable this day as they have been within the Nineties. maintaining with the advances required to navigate the internet for examine, this moment variation provides:
* increased dialogue of copyright, trademark, and different comparable concerns with particular connection with net authoring
* New chapters on user-generated content material and the demanding situations current via net assets
* accelerated dialogue on matters on the topic of incorporation of multimedia parts into web content
* Revised and up to date online page reveal captures that illustrate the foremost suggestions mentioned
* A spouse website with supplemental fabrics regarding the evaluate and construction of web pages
Many humans mistakenly think that as on-line applied sciences mature and using Internet-based content material turns into ubiquitous, the necessity to emphasize severe overview talents lessens. to the contrary, the exceptional worldwide development of the web coupled with the ever expanding sophistication of on-line applied sciences and software program purposes calls for participants to be even savvier internet clients. This booklet describes the fundamental parts that net source clients, new or skilled, have to deal with to spot trustworthy and functional on-line content material. The publication additionally presents vital tips for creators of Web-based assets to extra successfully express their messages to internet clients. awarded in an easy and hugely obtainable layout for readers of all backgrounds, the instruments and techniques defined during this publication can assist clients and creators of Internet–based content material to satisfy the various overview demanding situations posed via the net.
* each one bankruptcy is loaded with code examples and routines that permit the reader to quick research a few of the suggestions linked to 3D net improvement
* the single software program that the reader must run the examples is an HTML5 enabled smooth internet browser. No extra instruments needed.
* a realistic beginner's advisor with a quick paced yet pleasant and interesting procedure in the direction of 3D internet improvement
WebGL is a brand new internet know-how that brings hardware-accelerated 3D photographs to the browser with out fitting extra software program. As WebGL is predicated on OpenGL and brings in a brand new notion of 3D photographs programming to net improvement, it can appear unusual to even skilled internet builders.
Packed with many examples, this booklet exhibits how WebGL should be effortless to profit regardless of its unfriendly visual appeal. every one bankruptcy addresses one of many vital features of 3D snap shots programming and offers diverse possible choices for its implementation. the subjects are consistently linked to routines that might let the reader to place the recommendations to the attempt in a right away manner.
What you are going to research from this ebook
* comprehend the constitution of a WebGL program
* construct and render 3D items with WebGL
* Load complicated versions utilizing JSON and AJAX
* organize a lighting fixtures version utilizing shaders, physics of sunshine mirrored image, and lighting fixtures techniques
* Create a digital camera and use it to maneuver round a 3D scene
* Use texturing, lighting fixtures and shading innovations so as to add better realism to 3D scenes
* enforce collection of gadgets in a 3D scene with the mouse
* complex innovations to create extra visually complicated and compelling scenes
This publication is a step by step instructional that incorporates whole resource code for all the examples coated. each bankruptcy builds on most sensible of the former one thereby giving the reader a right away feeling of development. each one block of code is defined, and 3D net improvement innovations are diagrammed and coated in detail.
Who this e-book is written for
Can whales converse throughout miles of gigantic ocean? Can elephants consult each other with sounds we will no longer listen? Can birds’ calls aid us count number them within the sky? those are the categories of questions that force the paintings of acoustic biologists.
In secrets and techniques of Sound, writer April Pulley Sayre introduces us to 3 inventive scientists—Christopher W. Clark, Katy Payne, and invoice Evans—who have committed themselves to studying how and why animals converse. Sayre explores how new applied sciences and mystery army details lately published are aiding those scientists make interesting discoveries. Such paintings increases as many questions because it solutions, and for the scientists (and readers) that’s part the fun.
This publication celebrates the demanding situations of lab and fieldwork and the fun of discovery. It not just explores the area of animal communique but in addition highlights the serious position medical study can play in maintaining endangered animals.
Instill grammar basics utilizing classes that stick! during this e-book, authors Amy Benjamin and Joan Berger percentage approaches for instructing grammar successfully and dynamically, in ways in which attract scholars and academics alike. excellent for academics simply starting their paintings in grammar guide, this publication contains daily devices and reproducibles to assist them embed grammar classes into writing guideline.
- The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever
- Violated Online: How Online Slander Can Destroy Your Life & What You Must Do to Protect Yourself
- One Nation Under Stress: The Trouble with Stress as an Idea
- SEO Black Book
- Corrosion Prevention of Magnesium Alloys
Additional resources for A Leg to Stand On
I also tried-it was Miss Preston's last suggestion-"facilitation" she called it-to raise both legs simultaneously, in the hope that there might be some overflow or transfer from the good side. But, alas, not a trace! No "facilitation" whatever! After forty minutes, then, which left both Miss Preston and me exhausted and frustrated, we desisted, and let the quad be. It was a relief to both of us when she went over the other muscles in the leg, having me move my foot and toes, and other movements at the hip--abduction, adduction, extension, etc.
I fell asleep, but entered dreamland once again. I was on a riverbank overgrown with enormous lush trees, whose shadows dappled the slightly rippling water. It was sublimely quiet, almost tangibly quiet, the deep quiet wrapping me round like a mantle. I had my binoculars and camera with me. I was out to sight an extraordinary new fish-a wonderful thing, it was said, though few people had ever seen it. " I waited patiently, by its lair, for a while, and then whistled and clapped, and threw a stone in the water, to see if I could arouse the indolent beast.
Nurse Solveig, please-my name doesn't matter. And now, be so kind, please, and tum over. " 22 Becoming a Patient "Nurse Solveig," I replied, "can't you take my temperature by mouth? " "I cannot help that," she answered coldly. "I have my orders, and I have to follow them. " I thought to argue, or plead, or protest, but the expression on her face showed that this would be useless. Abjectly, I turned on my face, and the leg, unsupported, fell and prolapsed excruciatingly at the knee. Nurse Solveig inserted the thermometer and disappeared-disappeared (I timed it) for more than twenty minutes.